Add Reply

liquid amber, open
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
liquid amber swirled in miles' glass as a soft beat of bass thrummed through his body. it was early. only a few other customers sat quietly in the bar. the pit below would sit silent for a good few more hours.

miles hoped to be long gone by then. getting twitchy around a large crowd was not his cup of tea—or whiskey, in this case—though he always wondered.

his head turned to the tv hanging above the bar. it played a rerun of some sport he knew nothing about. his eyes darted away before he could really register what was even happening on the screen.

he downed his drink and waved to the bartender for another one.

open!
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
bags under his eyes, a thick layer of stubble across his cheeks and chin - three days old, at the very least - shirt undone and his tie askew, macen drags himself into sister margaret's and slumps onto a stool at the bar. he orders bourbon, a double, and spends the three minutes it takes for the bartender to bring him his drink over ice staring blankly at the tv screen.

the glass lands in front of him and he takes a tentative sip, his hand shaking. he grimaces at the taste, but downs another swallow, and only puts the glass down when the person sitting three stools down from him signals the bartender for another round.

macen - delicately, for a man of his size - hops off his stool, holding his drink in both hands like a precious artifact, and relocates two stools to his left. he bumps his new neighbor lightly in the shoulder as he adjusts his position on his seat, and looks him over from the corner of his eye; nice hair, nice build, cut jaw. macen smiles. he shows his teeth.

"put it on my tab," he tells the bartender, and despite his lackluster appearance his voice is strong and steady. "cheers, mate."

miles van herten
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
with a blink, miles turned his head towards the nudge at his shoulder. he had heard the other patron enter and sit down, even stand back up a few minutes later. he wasn't expecting him to come sit next to him.

he inspected the man to his right curiously, taken a bit by surprise at his offer. he was disheveled, yes, but there was something about his face that kept miles from considering him sloppy. tired maybe? that was something he could relate to. or maybe that was just this guy's look—he pulled it off well enough.

he waited till the bartender returned with a fresh drink before speaking. "'preciate it." he lifted his glass as an offering to toast. after some consideration, he decided against mentioning the offer wasn't necessary. didn't want to seem rude.

taking a sip, miles held the liquid in his mouth for a moment, searching for all the flavors before swallowing it down. it burned the roof of his mouth. fumes made their way up through his nostrils and he sniffed quietly before turning slightly towards his neighbor.

"wasn't expecting to see anyone else here this early."

macen st. james
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
macen inclines his head in quiet acknowledgement. he focuses on his own drink, but his gaze shifts, subtly, to the man beside him. watches his movements: deliberate, purposeful, steady. by contrast macen is like the jagged edge of torn paper, quick but erratic, and the rattle of ice against glass betrays his unsteady hand.

but his smile is smooth and genuine as he angles his body towards his new companion. "seems it's not a popular time," macen agrees lightly, taking another sip of his drink. "but we've all our reasons for unwise bouts of drinking." he checks his watch, now, and his brow furrows as if the hour is a surprise to him. "day drinking, even. i was wondering why it was so bright out."

macen offers no explanation himself but his expression is expectant, his posture attentive, like he truly has no greater purpose in this moment but to hear why a stranger is in a bar so early in the day.

miles van herten
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
busy examining the bottles of alcohol lined along the shelf, miles didn't miss the sound of a shaking hand. his mind wandered towards the possibilities of what could be causing it. had this man been anything more than a stranger, he'd have half a mind to question it. ask if something was wrong. but that wasn't exactly his place. better to pretend he didn't notice.

miles chuckled quietly, his head turning towards the light-filled window, then once more at his own realization. "i hardly noticed it was still early." he shook his head to himself. "shit, feels like i should be in bed in an hour."

a quick glance toward his companion suggested he was curious as to why he was here, considering the current time. a fair enough question. "had to butcher an entire bull today," he offered. he took a sip of his drink, stealing a glance to his right to see the reaction. "big guy—almost a ton and a half. i woulda felt bad if he weren't already sick as a dog."

macen st. james
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
“feels like i should be in bed in an hour,” the man admits, and macen huffs a laugh. “that’s the price of getting old, my friend,” he opines. then, considering: “not that i would know. i’m still spry. youthful, even.” a hilarious joke, considering his near-two thousand years of life. he knows he looks to be in his early thirties, by mortal standards; knows with equal assurance that this form of his will not age for another thousand years at least. that doesn’t keep him from examining his beard and temples for grey hairs with religious regularity every time he wakes; doesn’t stop him from poking and prodding at his skin for any signs of wrinkles.

macen tilts his head, his eyebrows raising in a close approximation of shock and awe. “that’s a lot of meat,” he says thoughtfully, and though the potential for innuendo travels to his slow-cooked brain half a beat too late, he makes up for it with a cocksure grin, as though he’d meant to do so all along. “consider me impressed.”

// miles van herten
someone tell macen to Just Stop
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
“not that i would know. i’m still spry. youthful, even.”

"boy, do i wish i could say the same." miles let out a mild chuckle. "for the past decade my parents have been anxious for grandkids from my sister and i before they kick the bucket." perhaps that was a little too true. he was pretty sure most of his family was a little bitter they were of a species that only lived a couple decades longer than the average human. having to say goodbye forever was still not a thing his older relatives were ready for.

“that’s a lot of meat,”

miles laughed again at his companion's sly grin. "sure is. definitely was a handful." he shook his head with a giant grin. this was ridiculous. "but really, though, helps keep the family at home fed at least."

macen st. james
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
the man says kids and macen groans out loud, theatrical as he knows how to be, tossing his head back and running his hand through his hair. exposes the pale, bruised line of his throat; putting himself on display, as he’s wont to do. he’s not sure if it’s working, honestly, he’s still too fuzzy around the edges, but - hey, he figures, it doesn’t hurt to try.

“i know how that goes,” he grumbles. “my parents wouldn’t get out my ass about having kids. now i have ‘em, and my wife-” he stops himself, shakes his head. “don’t do it,” he advises gravely. “you’re better off.”

curiosity piques, and macen tilts his head, putting on his best heartbreaker’s half-cocked grin. “no kids, but you got family at home? what’s the story there?”

//miles van herten
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
the edges of miles' lips quirked with amusement at the other man's pained groan. his display went mostly unnoticed, aside from the acknowledgement that it was quite dramatic. maybe he was an actor or something. had the face of one anyway. he lifted a down-faced palm in a "don't worry" gesture at his warning.

"i won't ask for any details regarding that." he polished off his glass, pushed it away and signaled for another. "god forbid i ever have to deal with kids. i'm not sure i even know how to hold one."

“no kids, but you got family at home? what’s the story there?” miles suddenly realized that must sound weird to anyone but his own family's ears. he nodded a thanks to the bartender as a fresh glass was set down in front of him.

"ah, i guess that's a bit of an exaggeration. relatives are just close is all; it's a big deal for someone to leave home. especially when it's the baby of the family." he chuckled to himself, took another sip. "been living alone for years and they still think visiting once every week or two isn't frequent enough."

macen st. james
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
macen leans forward, attentive, his chin cushioned by the palm of his hand. his drink goes disregarded; his legs splay ever so slightly, just enough for his knee to press lightly against the other man's thigh. he finishes his drink. orders another.

he's only half-paying attention to the explanation - though his expression is the image of an intent listener. he gets lost, momentarily, in the stubble on the man's jawline, and how nice his mouth is. comes back to himself when he remembers that he needs to engage in the conversation.

"it's nice that they care," he says, sipping his drink. "my parents weren't happy when my wife and i moved, but we didn't give them much of a choice. put half the damn globe between us."

a pause; a long sip. "besides, living all by yourself?" macen tilts his head. his tongue swipes across his lower lip. "it would get lonely, if you didn't have company."

// miles van herten
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
"i don't think mine would ever let me go so far. they'd probably just chase after me. if they didn't kill me first." just trying to imagine escaping the family was a nigh impossible task. he reached for the fresh drink. half of it disappears with a sip more akin to a quick chug.

the part of him that was paying some semblance of attention took note of the faint warmth against his thigh. taking some small comfort in it, he was growing weary of talking about relatives—a living embodiment of obligation, expectation.

"i suppose it does sometimes." another deep swallow and the glass set down was empty. "but what about living with a wife and kids? sounds tiring."

macen st. james
years old 12 posts PM
PLAYED BY tactician
he started the day fuzzy, but he's feeling even fuzzier now, the pleasant null in his brain a lovely counterpoint to the gnawing sensation in his stomach and the heavy weight under his eyes. distantly he thinks that he needs to slow down; but the thought happens too late, for even as he realizes it, he's ordered another round for himself and his new friend.

"it's definitely..." a long pause, and macen's hand moves from his chin to the back of his head, propping himself up as he lounges dramatically on the bar. his tie at some point had come completely undone; his shirt now lays unbuttoned to the third button, exposing the thin white undershirt beneath. "... it's something," he finishes, eventually. "which is why i'm no longer living with them."

macen reaches up and fiddles idly with the collar of the other's shirt, offering up a smile that seems counter to his words. "a retcon is in order, i think: my wife is my future ex-wife." his left hand moves from the other's collar and, displayed for theatrical effect, is the lack of a ring on his fourth finger. "an important distinction."

// miles van herten
years old 15 posts PM
PLAYED BY asiotus
his hand immediately reached for the new glass without thought. clumsier than he was expecting, he noticed through his now quickly-developing haze. his eyes lingered on the other man as he stretched out against the bar. he mimicked the movement, leaning forward slightly and turning to face the other man properly.

the meaning behind his words dawned on him belatedly. "oh. uh, sorry to hear." the hand suddenly at his collarbone and especially the smile. that made him begin to think otherwise, with some confusion. "unless that's a good thing?" he tacked on for safe measure. "can't say i've gotten a woman to like me enough to want to marry me." he let out a dry laugh. "i'm uhhh, a little inexperienced in that area."

macen st. james
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply