Add Reply

[event] Bees?, open
years old 3 posts PM
PLAYED BY thegrimlich
Now I’m stronger than yesterday. Now it’s nothing but my way…
The older hivelings had told her that no, it probably wasn't a good idea to go to the grillout. They probably would only have caffeinated beverages, and no honey, and there would be a lot of smoke because they were grilling food over fire, and fire created smoke.

But that was dumb. Fire didn't always create smoke. Or at least, not a lot of it. Maybe they would be using propane! Or... or maybe not. But... she had to go! It would be the coolest thing by far! And maybe if she didn't get caught she could sell people some honey. People liked to put honey on BBQ stuff, after all. Honey BBQ was one of the biggest-selling flavors, said the Internet!

Never mind that the internet sometimes lies, obviously they wouldn't lie about honey! So with that in mind, and with the argument made, she had gone out to the mansion where the beach party was being held and brought a little folding table & several jars of honey. She was hoping her cute smile would win people over, and if it didn't, well, maybe the honey would?
@open — tagged
"hilariously enough, she actually has a permit for the little table she's set up; it's a traveling business" — noted
years old 5 posts PM
PLAYED BY birdy
oliver didn't know much about honey. they didn't know much about barbecues, either, or most things that you could touch and smell. this body may have come with a name and power of its own, but it was a fancy machine without a manual. the spirit occupying it had a ways to go before it could call itself fluent.

as they shuffled over to the little table with its even smaller operator, oliver skimmed their human brain for any information pertaining to melittology and the genus apis. of course they had next to none, but oliver found that figuring out what one didn't know was always a good place to start.

oliver studied the jars with their congealed ombre yellows. then they looked to the tiny humanoid for guidance.

"i know very little about honey." they said, because honesty was easy. "this jar," oliver pointed to the rotund vial second-most to the young queen's left, "looks better than the rest. please confirm if this product is in fact superior. if it is not, please direct me to the one that is."

then oliver procured the twenty-dollar bill that peter had given them, to show that they meant business.

cassandra thriae hope you don't mind my hopping in!
years old 3 posts PM
PLAYED BY thegrimlich
That one, huh? That one was OK, the bees seemed pretty proud of the honey in it, but it had a little less and these were all supposed to be $10 jars. One pound, about, of high quality honey. And the one he was pointing at... "It's really good, the bees 're really proud of it." Cassie grinned. "Plus it was gathered this morning!"

Still, though, it was only fifteen point seven five ounces. The hivelings had said that would be close enough, but what if it wasn't? What if that extra quarter-ounce had been in there? Shouldn't she be charging $9.84 for it? Since it was $10 a pound. But then she'd have to charge $10.08 for the one to the right of it, and $10.46 for the heaviest jar, and some were probably hundredths of a penny off from one another, let alone a pound... gosh, that would be a lot of math...

That was when she reminded herself that she had only brought $1 bills, so she had to keep it simple (otherwise she would've had a small mountain of the copper-and-zinc coins next to her). "It's $10 a jar, and it keeps for a really long time if you keep it sealed. And the best part is that the money goes to keeping the bees happy and healthy, and helping us house more of them & get them really pretty flowers to feed on!" Local flowers, too, not the weird out-of-state ones that wreak havoc on the local environmental balance.

She paused. "Um... you talk funny, are you OK?"
oliver coste — tagged
"she thinks about bees-iness a lot" — noted
years old 5 posts PM
PLAYED BY birdy
$10 a jar. Well, then they could get two jars and maybe Peter would stop telling Oliver to enjoy their youth and eat more sweet things. In addition to human homework, Oliver had done their homework on humans. Sugar destroyed teeth. And humans without teeth were like a baku without a dream catcher. Irrelevant.

The jars would sit on the bottom shelf of the pantry along with all of the other snacks Peter had tried and failed to tempt Oliver with. But just the act of bringing them home should keep the nosy adult at bay, at least for a while.

If the bees were proud of this jar, then Oliver would buy this jar. They didn't know what difference it made whether the honey had been collected this morning or a hundred mornings ago, Oliver wasn't going to be eating it, but a normal human would, and so Oliver kept in mind to ask and pretend to care about the things that a normal human would ask and care about.

"I see. The bees eat the flowers and the flowers become honey. Interesting." Oliver placed their hands on the jar of their choice, fixing the girl with a blank stare. "I will take two of the jars that the bees are happiest with. Also." They made a point of frowning. "If you are going to tell all of your customers that they 'talk funny', you should lower the price."

cassandra thriae SO LATE IMSORRY
years old 3 posts PM
PLAYED BY thegrimlich
"Huh?" Cassie frowned. "I... that's not how it... They don't eat the flowers, they eat the nectar, but some nectar tastes better than others, and a lot of bees don't really like nectar from plants from weird places, local plants have better nectar for local bees, it's like..." She frowned. She shook her head.

"And you are talkin' funny! Nobody else would say 'this product looks serperior to the rest', that's a weird way of talking. Besides, the jars are diff'rent, but none of 'em is better than the others!"
oliver coste — tagged
"possibly losing a sale, but you made her mad" — noted
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply